Registered Sleep Technician
Northern BC Sleep Center is operated by 0975697 BC Ltd and under the umbrella of Tranq Sleep Care is a Ministry approved Level I Sleep lab. We provide comprehensive sleep services including clinical consultations as well as overnight sleep studies, with a dedication to superior and professional patient care. Tranq Sleep Care is also dedicated to providing public education as well as sleep profession education.
• Title: Registered Sleep Technician (credential of Registered Polysomnographic technologist with the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists)
• Format: Permanent
• Hours: Full Time (minimum workload of 30 hours a week with overtime if needed)
• Compensation: $34.95 per hour, annual vacation package (10 business days)
• Benefits: Extended medical and dental insurance coverage
• Place of work: Northern BC Sleep Center at 206-4650 Lazelle Avenue, Terrace, BC, Canada V8G 1R6
• Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a health science field or another post-secondary credential in a health science field
• At least 2 years of proven experience working as a Sleep Technician
• Registration with the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT)
• Excellent English language skills, language of work
• Ability to work independently
• Excellent organizational skills
• CPR certified
• The Sleep Technologist provides comprehensive evaluation of sleep disorders. This may involve polysomnography, diagnostic and therapeutic services or patient care and education.
• The Sleep Technologist identifies, and report concerns regarding all aspects of the sleep lab operation, including patient safety, in a timely manner.
• The Sleep Technologist reports to the Chief Technical Registered Polysomnographic Technologist and/or the Medical Director.
• Areas of responsibility and oversight are:
Gather and analyze patient information.
Collect, analyze and integrate patient information in order to identify and meet the patient’s specific needs and to determine final testing parameter/procedures in conjunction with the ordering Physician.
Complete and verify documentation.
Explain pre-testing, testing and post-testing procedures to the patient.
Prepare and calibrate equipment required for testing, following equipment manufacturer’s directions, to determine proper functioning and make required adjustments if necessary.
Apply electrodes and sensors according to accepted published standards.
Perform appropriate physiologic calibrations to ensure proper signals and adjust if necessary.
Perform positive airway pressure mask fitting.
Follow procedural protocols such as PAP, oxygen titration and parasomnia studies to ensure collection of appropriate data.
Follow “lights out’ procedures to establish and document baseline value (such as body position, oxyhemoglobin saturation, respiratory and heart rate, etc.)
Perform Polysomnographic data acquisition while monitoring study-tracing quality to ensure signals are artifact-free and do adjustments, if necessary.
Document routine observation including sleep stages and critical events. Changes in procedure and significant events in order to facilitate scoring and interpretation of the Polysomnographic results.
Implement appropriate interventions (including actions necessary for patient safety and therapeutic intervention such as continuous and bi-level positive airway pressure, oxygen administration, etc.)
Follow “lights on” procedure to verify integrity of collected data and complete the data collection process (repeats the physiological and instrument calibration and instructs the patient on completing questionnaire, etc.)
Oversees and performs difficult and unusual procedures and therapeutic intervention.
Scores sleep/wake stage by applying professionally accepted guidelines.
Scores clinical events (such as respiratory events, cardiac events, limb movement, arousal etc.) according to the sleep lab specific protocols.
Generates accurate reports by tabulating sleep/wake and clinical event data.
The Sleep Technologist may also be required to participate in the quality assurance process and safety committee meetings.
Please apply in confidence by sending your resume to Tatiana@lawpoint.ca